Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Whew!


I love this cricket playing pool background fabric


I finished making the January blocks for the Cheddarback quilt.  It was quite a feat because some of the blocks were really time consuming.  I had to be so careful.



The 5/8" border is sewn on but not attached to the sashing.


And then there was the above block that went together beautifully and was exactly 5 1/4" square when I was finished.  It supposed to be 5 1/2" inches.  I didn't want to make it again so I cut four - 5/8" strips to put around it.  Then when I sewed it to the sashing, it left 1/8" border all the way around.  It isn't noticeable at all unless you're looking for it.




I'm not sure what I was thinking when I chose this background.  I love the background of the original block but I didn't have anything like it.  This quilt is going to be eclectic for sure.

The fourth small block went together easily, thank goodness.

Then I made the large block for January which included a lot of paper pieced flying geese.  It would have been so much easier to have cut it and sewed it individually but that wasn't what the instructions were.  I sewed and sewed and guess what?  It wasn't the right size either.  It was too small.  Now, you may say that I took bigger 1/4" seams and perhaps that is the case, but why do all my other blocks for the past year turn out okay and it is just this month that they are too small?

I stretched the block to fit the sashing.  The sashing ripples now.  It will quilt out but for right now it doesn't look good - hence no picture.

It makes me nervous about what the next months blocks are going to be like.

I love this quilt and I will slog through regardless how the next few month's blocks turn out.

I still appreciate Gay doing this BOM.  I'm sure it's frustrating to her too.

Robin

12 comments:

Janet O. said...

That is a great cricket conversation print, and that looks like a very challenging block!
You fixed your size problem very creatively--works for me. :)
May all your future blocks be the correct size!

Nancy said...

Oh my goodness, your blocks look great, Robin! And you're finished so early, too. I'm so very impressed with your Block 46 with all those tiny triangles. I began working on mine tonight. After about two hours, including deciphering the foundation paper piecing directions, unstitching, etc., I have one point stitched.

I'm sorry about your blocks that are too small. I really like the peachy/coraly fabric you chose for Block 47. And your star is perfect. I hesitate to imagine what mine will look like. I'll probably have to put a circle in the middle again.

Well, congratulations on finishing these blocks so early and for them looking so great!

Cathy said...

Great job on the first block. I did a very simple version. Hugs

Rebecca said...

Check the print out to make sure your 'printer is not printing a smaller block on paper pieced blocks.... Happened to me....

Good luck

Robin said...

To Rebecca,
That's an excellent point. I'll check it out. I determined this morning to take the 12 1/2" block apart on the long seams and take a small seam allowance. I'm sure that will help a little. Thanks.

Kaja said...

This quilt is asking a lot of you but the individual blocks look so good, despite your size issues. Personally I wouldn't even notice that tiny little sashing edge. I hope the next set of blocks are easier going.

moosecraft said...

Love these blocks! My favorite being the red/green one with that happy little bird poking his face in! lol! Lots of work, but this will be worth it when all together1 :-)

audrey said...

Oh my, that first block looks hard! Kudo's to you for sticking with it. I like messy, busy background fabrics but find it very hard to do that myself. It's going to look fantastic.:)

Jeanne said...

Good job! I didn't take pictures of mine this month. We're almost done with Cheddarback.

Julierose said...

These came out beautifully--so small--nice work hugs, Julierose

Jennie in GA said...

These are really difficult blocks! I’m not sure that I would ever attempt them. I especially love the first block. And I admire you for salvaging the little5 1/4” block. I actually like it like that. Congrats on your hard work!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Kudos to you for making these difficult blocks! And, that conversational print of crickets playing pool is my all time favorite!

Everything is in bloom

I love geraniums.  I'm always looking for an unusual or different color, petal shape, or foliage shading. They just make me happy.   I&#...