Wednesday, July 22, 2020

A quilter's work is never done

I'm finally getting this quilt top layered and ready to quilt.  I think I'm going to use the floor hoop where I can turn it around as I quilt around the circles.

I'm having a hard time naming this quilt because I've come up with so many name I like.  The first one was "Absence of Heat"  but that doesn't sound right anymore.  The other names that have come to mind are  "Solace", "Stardust", and "Mellow".  Hmmmmmmm




This was a fun quilt to put together because it was so simple.  I hand appliqued the circles which was a relaxing hand project.


I used some of my favorite old 3 Sisters fabrics.  They are always so sweet - 


From Gingham Rose to Seaside Rose to  Aviary and other lines I've forgotten.  


This is the backing for the quilt.  Both of these fabrics are from the Seaside Rose line in 2002 or something.  I absolute love the one with the big roses.  I've saved it for a long time.  I didn't have enough for the whole back so I teamed up these two fabrics.  It was supposed to just be four big pieces but I accidentally cut one of them in 1/2.  I like this placement much better than my original plan.



I finished my Alletaire quilt.  It was a mystery quilt-a-long by Bonnie Hunter in 2016.  I know you've seen dozens of these online but that doesn't detract from the fact that it is a really pretty quilt  I think it's Bonnie's BEST one.


I used DMC size 8 in gold and a big stitch.  I thought it would show up a lot more than it does.


And it didn't take as much thread as I thought it would so I've got 5 more balls of gold that I need to figure out a use for.




I call it "Manistique" after a little town in the UP of Michigan.
Robin


9 comments:

Nancy said...

What a beautiful, quiet quilt this is, Robin. It looks so peaceful and soft. Love those rose fabrics on the back. I hope you enjoy quilting it. It's sometimes hard to choose a name, isn't it? Quilts do seem to have their own personalities.

Your Alletaire is beautiful, too. I agree, I think this is the best mystery quilt Bonnie has done. Congratulations on the finish!

moosecraft said...

How about... "Vanilla Bean", "Sweet Tea", "Summer Sand" or "Sweet Serenity"?
It's a real pretty quilt! That's for sure! :-)

Julierose said...

Man, you do beautiful works!!;))) I just love that low volume one--it reminds me of a quilt I made for my cousin (now sadly deceased) with Dresden Plates in lv colors--we called in (in our Canadian French fashion) "Chez Nous" = our home...I've always wanted to make one for us and use that name...(in French it denotes a cozy-happy-homelike feeling...)

And your Alietaire colors are perfect...it looks so pretty on the bed...
Lots of steps to a quilt finish, you know? I feel the same way...
Hugs on a humid day Julierose

audrey said...

This is such a soft looking quilt, so restful and sweet! What a pleasure to hand quilt this one! And your Alietaire quilt turned out so dynamic looking. Very striking in this colorway!

Janet O. said...

Whatever you decide to name your quilt, it has a very soothing appeal to it.
Your Alletaire is a beauty. I really like the colors--it is so striking with the bold contrast.
Now you need to make another quilt or two that will need gold floss for the quilting. :)

Barb said...

What a lovely lovely quilt! it is so soothing and pretty.
I like Stardust for a name.
great mystery finish too!

Carli The Quilter said...

Hi Robin, I love your low volume quilt. I haven't ever done a low volume quilt. I fear that my stash is heavily lacking in low volume. Cheers!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's such a pretty quilt. Low volume and soft. I bet it will only get even prettier as you hand quilt it. Your mystery quilt is very pretty too. Glad to find your blog!

Denice Barker said...

Again, your sweet circles are beautiful and you appliqued them to the background? Please, is there a pattern? I primarily hand applique and this looks wonderful

Two Weeks under the tree was his record.

 Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I could see in my minds eye. . .  And it had a few make-overs as well a drastic designer revision...