Thursday, July 9, 2020

Hourglass marathon




I originally went into my sewing room to just follow my muse.  I felt like some carefree sewing.
I picked up the HSTs from a previous project. and started sewing them into hourglass units.




Then I added some sashing and orange cornerstones.   I added a small inner border out of some orange alphabet fabric to repeat the orange in the cornerstones.  It looks good but it's hardly noticeable.

I found some gold fabric I liked and put a frame around it.  I was satisfied, I hung it on the design wall and went on with other things.
  



But, the more I looked at it the more I didn't like the gold border.  So I took it off and replaced it with this weather vane fabric from a backing for my 2nd Women of Grace and Charm quilt.

It looked much better.




It was then that I decided to start making hourglass units to repeat the center and make it into a quilt.




If one row of hourglass units is good then a few more would be even better - right?




Three more rows. . . it's coming along.  I didn't realize what I was getting myself into.  Doing a quilt like this is - well, it's like adding 8 borders.  Borders aren't really my favorite thing but the starting gun had fired and I was sprinting.




I added another border of the weather vane fabric and made it as wide as one of the borders of hourglass units.




I added four more borders all the way around and then two more borders on the top and bottom to get a rectangular quilt.  

Don't you like the rocks that are helping to keep the breeze at bay.



It measures 77" X 91".  

I'm going to tie it and I'll have a great camp quilt.

One thing I know, I won't be making another hourglass quilt.  I had to trim to size all 560 units and even then the corners are very iffy.  The trimming took hours and hours.

The bonus is using up all those scraps - yippee!!!

Robin



 

8 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I have difficulty getting all my hourglass blocks to finish the same size, but they sure look fabulous in great wide borders as you have done! Time very well spent in my opinion, I love your completed top.

Julierose said...

this ended up beautifully--it really just grew and grew;)) i love the wide hourglass borders--that was a whole lot of trimming...
lovely result ~ ~ waving from our AC julierose

Nancy said...

Wow! I remember when you first posted the center and thought you were mostly finished. You've turned those hourglass blocks into a fabulous quilt. I admire your persistence in cutting, trimming, sewing, arranging, and sewing some more. Fabulous quilt!

audrey said...

Oh wow! This really came together so well! Just grew and grew and grew. Love a quilt that doesn't want to quit!:)

Janet O. said...

This is the little quilt that grew--and grew, and grew!
Wow, I really like it. But I have to say that I never put that much work into our camp quilts. :)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I did smile as I read your post, love a quilt that just grows & grows! Sometimes the idea we have when we start is not where we end up, yes?

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

The center was such a sweet little quilt by itself and then you kept going and going. A wonderful scrap quilt!

Karen said...

I have not been visiting blogs a lot the last six weeks or so. Not a good explanation as to why...just a bump in the road I guess. Anyhow, you have been getting in some good play time. When I do hour glass blocks, I over size cut the parts and then trim to size. I just don't seem to be able to piece as well any more. I have some more to finish up making but in a larger size than you have been doing.

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...