Saturday, July 18, 2020

I made another block


I haven't sewn the center of the flower down.


Well, I made another block for the Beyond Baskets quilt (see previous post.  It certainly isn't the most glamorous block I've ever made but it's done.  It took me all day.  I had to figure out what fabrics I had big enough pieces of and then I had to figure out which fabrics to use in which position and what fabrics had already been used in the blocks that would be surrounding it.  

Have I totally confused you?

It probably took me 2 hours to just figure all that out because I kept going back and forth on placement.

The fabrics are from a line by Paula Barnes called Hill Country Heritage.  I was able to find a green piece of fabric for the grass in the basket in my stash by Paula Barnes so it's different than the rest but it goes just fine and doesn't detract.




Above are all the blocks with sashing  between.  The new block is left on the second row from the top.




This shows using the black stripe at the top as side setting triangles.  It looks too dark to me.  (And my carpet makes everything look weird)




This picture shows light side setting triangles (which I like much better ) and extending the sashing out next to the triangles. This will give me some light spaces to do some nice quilting.   I haven't sewn anything down, I'm just trying to get an idea of what the differences are and what I prefer.



And this picture shows another option with colorful cornerstones between the sashing.  I actually think the cornerstones are too distracting.  I wish my pictures were brighter but I was taking them in the basement (which is delightfully cool in spite of the heat).

Well, what do you think?  I enjoyed your input so much from my last post and it motivated me to get busy.

I don't think I would have regretted not making another block and just finishing this quilt off like the pattern.  But, I really do think this on point setting is a better choice.  It will measure approx. 72" sq.

I just realized I have the two multi-colored baskets next to each other - shoot!
Robin

8 comments:

Julierose said...

That is such a complicated block--but beautifully finished...
I personally like the addition of those cornerstones..
Isn't it amazing just how much time it can take to find the right fabrics? Never an easy thing for me...

[sometimes I feel that my fabric stash was bought with a different type of quilt in mind--not what I envision making right now!! How to fit that fabric (wrestle with it actually) to make it look good in my current projects...and that I need a "new way" of "looking at and seeing" fabrics to select s i g h]

But I digress (as usual)...
I think this is a charming piece you've got going...

also--there must be a ga-zillion seam crossings in that block!! ;000
Hugs from afar julierose

Rebecca said...

I like the corner stones.... to me they are a nice break from the "highway of stripes", and I say this while admitting I do not like doing corner stones..lol

Karen said...

I like the on point setting. Just seems more naturual. The stripe fabric such a good choice for sashing. I do not find the cornerstones in the sashing at all distracting. It will make a good size quilt. Not too big nor too small.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

These blocks are simply delicious! Why do we spend so much time fretting over fabric and placement when it usually comes out just perfectly in the end? I love the on point setting with the light setting triangles and no corner blocks. I adore that striped sashing!

Janet O. said...

I am really loving what you have done here, Robin! My preferences echo what Wendy said. :)

Barb said...

what charming basket blocks! I like the pumpkin colored corner stones.
that stripe is zippy and fun and looks great!

audrey said...

Sometimes the last block {esp. make-do} is totally mind boggling to figure out in regards to proper balance. Just makes my head hurt! lol Love the baskets in this quilt so much. Lots of options to decide on for sure, but the lighter setting triangles do look amazing.

Nancy said...

Your last basket is perfect to go with all the others, Robin. I especially like the red and white stripe on this one. I agree that the light sashing looks great and that the colored cornerstones are distracting. I don't often see sashing without cornerstones (or maybe I haven't looked closely before) but I really like that effect, especially with the striped fabric. This will be a gorgeous quilt!

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...