Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Temecula BOM

I have been sewing along with Temecula Quilt Co. BOM called "Beyond Baskets".  It started in January and I was sent enough fabric and a pattern to make 2 basket blocks each month for 6 months.  I just finished the 12th block today.



Here are some of the blocks close up.  This block above was supposed to have a spiked flower but I thought the quilt needed some tulips.




These little hexagon pieces are one inch across.  The pattern came with a template and I had to piece them by hand.  There was also a tiny template for the stars (pictured in the block in the middle below).

Below is a picture what the quilt is supposed to look like when it's finished.

But, I like my baskets upright instead of leaning to the left so I'm thinking about a different setting.







Here is a picture of the stripe for sashing and the binding.  I like the combination.  The binding really stands out (see picture of pattern).




Close-up of sashing fabric.  I thought this was going to be a 19th century quilt and this fabric looks more modern and playful.  But, it goes with the rest of the fabrics just fine.  There is some of this fabric in the basket of the block on the lower left  with the red flower.  The picture is a little dark - downstairs photography. . . 




This picture above is one setting for having the baskets upright.  But, it makes an odd sized quilt.




I like this setting much better but it would mean I would have to make another block.  Sigh~  I really want to be done.  




I have plenty of left- over fabric including the muslin background pictured with the sashing fabric.

Do I make another basket block?  It would mean my geometry skills would have to come into play figuring out setting triangles and estimated fabric.  

Do I put the sashing between the blocks on point?  



What other fabric do I have that would go with the rest?  

OR . . . do I just go ahead and finish it like the original pattern and then I can go on to something else I want to make?

I think I'll go take my morning shower  and leave these world shattering decisions for later.

Robin


8 comments:

Julierose said...

Decisions decisions...when you've reached the end you hate to have to make yet another--it's a mental thing isn't it? ;)))

Just beautiful baskets...nice work on these.
Hugs from afar Julierose

Anonymous said...

Your tulip block is the only block that is a log cabin basket. Why not just duplicate that block to place at bottom center, that would balance and you need not do any calculations. Step away and come back and do it the way you want on point, you have made so much effort thus far a bit more and you will be rewarded with a beautiful basket quilt that you made your own. I sure you could acquire more fabrics or sashing from Temecula to compliment your fabric. It is going to be glorious, do not be faint of heart. Dotti in CT

Janet O. said...

I agree with Dotti. After all that work, take a breather and then make that other basket and set it the way you like. If you have enough sashing, I think the strip is a really cool effect.
There are charts galore on the internet for figuring setting and corner triangles based on block size, with or without sashing. No geometry skills needed, or I would be sunk.
If you set these blocks as the pattern suggested, would you always look at it and wish you hadn't?

Karen said...

Oh my! I do like those basket blocks. I guess I never paid attention to the presentation of the info for the BOM as I don't remember the design. Those need to come live at my house.

Sandy said...

Everything about these baskets is simply stellar. Sheryl (Johnson, of TQC) really has a way with fabric, and design, and how to put it all together, don't you think? I cannot disagree with what Dotti suggests, and yes it will be worth the extra time/work/math? in the end. Go for it!

moosecraft said...

Oh my! This is gorgeous! I missed out on this one....

Nancy said...

What beautiful baskets, Robin! Like you, I would want the baskets upright instead of on their sides. It's too bad you need to make another basket to get the layout you like best, especially when you just want to be finished. Maybe you could take a short break and come back to one last basket? And will you be happy in the end with a layout you don't love now? There are always so many considerations, aren't there?

Taryn said...

Your baskets are so pretty. I’m always impressed by someone who keeps up with the monthly schedule. Enjoy your “what’s next” decision making. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Ongoing progress

I finished the center with the gifts and put on a double star border.  It now measure 48" square. Now I'm at a standstill. . .  I&#...